Final Day In Lexington
Tough loss last night for the ‘Birds, 7-6 in 11 innings. They came back with two in the ninth inning to tie the game but Jonathan Meyer hit a liner into center field to plate the winning run in the bottom of the 11th inning.
The good news is that Lakewood also lost to West Virginia 4-0. The Shorebirds remain 6.5 games out of first place as August begins today.
Couple notes from last night…
– Always nice to see a long homer like Steve Bumbry hit last night. It looked to me like it cleared the entire big video board out in right-center field. It was his fourth home run of the season and his sixth as a professional.
– Kieron Pope has one RBI in each game of the current series. He ranks second on the Shorebirds with 38 knocked in. His career high in a single-season is 45, accomplished with the ‘Birds in 107 games in ’08.
– After going 0-for-21 between 7/22 and 7/26, Ty Kelly has turned it around and is 7-for-16 in his last four games.
– The last Shorebirds starter to earn a win was Kenny Moreland on 7/21 when he beat Hickory
– The Shorebirds have tallied a run in the first inning in each of the last two games
– The ‘Birds are 4-10 in extra-inning games this season
– Relief pitcher Nick Haughian has stepped up and hurled 13.2 innings since the 20th of July.
– Ty Kelly leads the Shorebirds with 11 sacrifices on the season (sometimes an area which people don’t notice)
It’s a 3 hour trip to West Virginia so we should be in around 9 p.m. tonight. Continue to support the club!