News and Notes
Game two against Lakewood is coming up at noon today (Monday). ‘Birds now in fourth place, 4.5 games out with 20 games remaining.
LHP Tim Berry is on the hill today. Berry’s ERA has gone down in each of his last five starts. He has gone five innings in each of his last four starts. Berry did not allow an earned run in his last start against West Virginia. A little bit off topic but equally as important; Tim Berry’s mustache has raised $302 for Mustache May, the most of any Shorebirds player!
* Ty Kelly strikeouts only once every 9.59 at-bats, third best in the league.
* In 24.2 innings out of the bullpen, Jason Gurka has walked only two batters. He has fanned 33.
* Seven of the Shorebirds final 20 games will be played against first place Hagerstown.
* Reliever D.J. Ferguson has not allowed a run in 10.1 consecutive innings (five outings). He has allowed just four hits during the span.
* Scott Copeland has had limited run support in his two quality starts against Lakewood. In 14 combined innings, he has scattered 12 hits and allowed just three earned runs. However, he is 0-2.
* Jonathan Schoop has seven home runs this season (200 AB). He had only five home runs in his first 461 minor league at-bats coming into this season.
* Adam Gaylord has hit safely in seven of his last nine games. Gaylord is batting .239 in May after hitting just .196 in April.
* The Shorebirds are 11-12 since Manny Machado’s injury (May 5)
* The Shorebirds are 1-4 since the promotions of Kipp Schutz and Clay Schrader to Frederick (May 25). The ‘Birds are averaging just 2.4 runs per game in the last five games.
* Ty Kelly has hit safely in 22 of the last 24 games
* Riley Hornback threw out Carlos Perdomo at second base last night. It was the 21st outfield assist of the season for the Delmarva Shorebirds.
* The Shorebirds have made 72 errors in 50 games this season (3rd most in SAL)
* The Shorebirds are 13-19 this season against teams in their own division. They have played their last 20 games against the Northern Division (8-12)